Saturday, April 5, 2008

The Chief is OK



That title could mean so many things... However for today it means that the Chief is well again. On Tuesday (April Fools Day of all days) he had his followup echo cardiogram and EKG at Primary Children's Hospital. We are thrilled to say he is A-OK. The cardiologist said the inflammation of his heart is gone and he no longer needs his daily Aspirin. (Inflammation of his heart?? We didn't even know it had been inflamed!) We have a follow up again in one year just to be sure nothing changes. What a relief!! I must admit I'm grateful I never knew his heart WAS inflamed or I would have been completely unable of following Dr. orders to treat him like a normal healthy 4 year old. I must have missed that piece of information when we were discharged... or the inflammation was so minor the Dr.s didn't know for sure until they saw what his "normal" heart looks like. Whatever the reasons we are happy to report he truly is a normal boy again. Thank you all for the faith and prayer over the last two months. We know it is because of your prayers that we survived and the Chief had a miraculous recovery.

For those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about the Chief was in the hospital for a week in February with "Kawasaki disease". An extremely rare disease believed to be caused by a virus in children under the age of 5 (typically Asian boys). There's no knowledge where it comes from, how it's contracted or even how to properly diagnose it. There have been roughly 4,000 cases in the U.S. Thomas was finally diagnosed after a week long process of elimination where he was tested for everything from strep-throat to cancer to Spinal Meningitis while he had 9 days of uncontrollable fevers, rashes, pealing skin, a swollen lymph node in his neck, EXTREME irritability, bloodshot eyes to the point of no whites, thrush, swollen lips and refusing to eat or drink anything. Thankfully we've all but guaranteed none of you will ever encounter this in your own family as it's not hereditary and extremely rare for members of the same family to develop it.

No comments: