Monday, March 7, 2011

Crock Pot Chicken Curry

Here's my favorite curry recipe that I fixed last week. Mike and I love curry! We ate it in Hawaii, a lot. I found this recipe in my favorite crock pot recipe book. It's Better Home and Gardens and looks like a magazine, it's the 2008 edition.
I ordered it online a couple years ago and I haven't fixed a bad recipe yet.
I hope posting the recipe here is not dishonest or breaking any copyright rules. I figure if you try it and like it you'll go buy the book right? So in the end it would benefit not hurt anyone, right?

Chicken Curry page 116.
(Cook: 3-4hrs (low) or 6-8 hrs (high) 8 servings)
3 T Flour
3 T Curry Powder
1 1/2 t Ground Cumin
1 t salt
1 1/2 lbs skinless boneless chicken breast cut into 1 inch pieces
2 c. chopped potato (2 med.)
1 1/2 c. sliced carrots (3 med.)
1 c. apple, chopped (1 med.)
3/4 c. chopped onion (1 med.)
1 jalapeno pepper seeded and diced (I leave this out)
1 t instant chicken bouillon
2 cloves minced garlic
1/2 c water
1 13.5 oz can coconut milk (delicious w/ coconut cream too)
Hot Cooked Rice
Chopped Salted Peanuts
Raisins (we like Craisins)

Combine flour, curry powder, cumin, and salt. Add chicken pieces, a few at a time, shaking to coat.

In a slow cooker, combine chicken, potato, carrot, apple, onion, jalapeno pepper, bouillon and garlic. Pour the water over all in cooker.

Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours. If using low setting turn to high heat setting, stir in coconut milk, cover and cook for last 30 minutes.

Serve chicken mixture over hot cooked rice. Sprinkle each with raisins and peanuts.

It's so yummy even Caitlin eats it.
There was barely enough left for leftovers. Mike and I almost had to fight over it.

There's something about the coconut milk that really makes this dish delicious, so I wouldn't recommend skipping or substituting this particular ingredient... Typing this up has made me hungry for some curry!

1 comment:

AnnMarie said...

Mmm...that looks super yummy! I've never made curry before. Maybe I'll try this recipe out. How did Maurisa's story telling competition stuff go?