This picture of Lizzy has two purposes. First, it's hilarious and adorable! Second you can see the sad, sad door in the background. Ugly yellow plastic window trim (that had never been painted), peeling chipping paint on the frame... it's so sad even the wreath hook is empty. This picture was over a year ago, by the time we got to it it was even worse!
Look at her now!
I convinced Mike we should paint it over Labor Day. I've been wanting to do it ever since we moved in almost 6 years ago. It actually took us the entire weekend instead of only the day. One full day of "prep". We sprayed and washed all the "gunk" off (I didn't want all the bugs, dirt and spiderwebs falling down from the windows into our paint. Then we scraped and sanded and taped all day on Saturday. By then it was to late to start painting, we didn't want the mosquitos to add a new type of "distressing" to our door. So we agreed to wait and paint on Monday.
We wouldn't let the kids turn on any front room lights to keep the bug population in our windows to a minimum. Monday morning we woke up early and started painting. Mike did the trim, I did the door (inside and outside.) I think we ended up with two coats and a touch up. The weather was perfect for drying paint and by that night we pulled off the tape and had a brand new door. We still left the lights off for 24 hours to make sure it was good and dry before too many bugs landed. After all that hard work we didn't want a single blemish... and it was funny to tease the kids.
A few people have asked us if we got a new door. Ideally I would like to paint it a color, but since we were doing it without our landlords permission I decided we better stick with white. It's amazing how it gave the entire front of our house a face lift. I'm no longer embarrassed when people come to the door. Good bye peeling paint and "poor people" house look.



3 comments:
It does look really nice. You guys did a great job.
What a big job. I think it looks lovely.
Beautiful! I so admire the hard work you guys put into it!
Post a Comment