I fell in love with the hot pink spray paint I used on the headboard. I figured if it looks that cute on a headboard frame how would it look on some flowers for a shelf
and a frame, and a candelabra
and of course... a little bird.
Or how about a scrolly wall shelf, another candlestick and frame
and a cute "M"onogram
I love the monogram. I found an "M" at hobby lobby, spray painted it black (so I wouldn't have to try and paper the edges) and modpodged black and white damask paper on it. Super cute.
I painted a big wicker laundry basket to hold shoes and "stuff" in the bottom of her closet. (I took a closeup so you couldn't see all the "stuff" :)I was on a roll... so I painted her old brown dresser the same white as her bookshelf and headboard and spraypainted the cute swirly knobs with the hot pink. There's a few hot pink things on top of her dresser too... if you can find them.
Here's the old dresser in the corner:
Here it is after I painted it white and sprayed the hardware.
And here's a close up of the knobs
I love how the dresser turned out. I think some trim around the edges of the drawers would be cute, but I don't want to invest any more money since the drawers have lost their runners.
So once that turned out cute I resprayed some of her desk accessories, (which you can't see through the piles) but they turned out cute. The little pitcher is adorable for holding all her girly pens.
I made a bullitinboard out of a DI frame (spraypainted black) and some super cute fabric I found at walmart. I cut out a piece of foam core board to use as the back and glued some cork board on top. Then I just wrapped the fabric around it and taped it onto the back of the board and popped it into the frame. It's snug enough I didn't even have to staple it in. Super easy, and super cute.You can't tell but the fabric is corduroy, adorable! I'll use the rest to make a couple pillows for her new bed and her desk chair.I wanted really cute tacks but figured the fabric was so busy they would get lost. Mel had the idea of using buttons so I found the biggest ones I had and (you guessed it) spray painted them hot pink, then glued them onto some flat head tacks I had in the toolbox, thanks for the good idea Mel! Worked out great.
Here is the message board hanging under her shelf. I'm debating attaching some knobs or hooks to the shelf in between the flowers but for now I like it like it is.
And as a grand finale' I added a glass knob & plaque (which I also sprayed to match) above her headboard and tied some white toole to make it look like the frame is hanging from the knob. Love it!
Where do you draw the line with your children decorating their rooms? Mine LOVE to hang up their creations on the walls... even though I provided her a board she quickly used up the space and added her own paper decor to the walls and book shelves. It drives me crazy! Mike says it's their room and they should get to help decorate it. And I do want them to be proud of their creations and display them... but when is enough, enough? At some point you have to teach your kids not to hang paper all over every inch of wall space... don't you?
Of course, what can I expect when I gave her this sign:



3 comments:
Very cute, Tammy! I've had to redo some things in Taylor's room recently. I understand with letting the kids do their room. I want it to look all nice and neat! It's hard for me to let them do thing as well.
You did kind of ask for it with that sign. :) But besides that, it sounds like your kids are acting like you in their own way. You decorate their rooms and so they want to decorate their rooms just like you do. Their idea of decorating is just different. Their tastes are still developing and evolving. Maybe they'll go for simplicity someday or maybe they'll go for eccentricity. :) It's all in the eye of the beholder, right?
Looks great! Tammy, to answer your question about the glaze I used on my table: I made a 50/50 mixture of paint and glaze. It has to be whisked really well to blend but it worked well. I usually use glaze and paint but wanted to try something different. Good luck with your table!
Post a Comment