Saturday, December 12, 2009

Christmas Crackers Recipe

I needed to make some treats for a YW activity this week. We decided to make Christmas Crackers ("Christmas Crack" renamed by Marisa). I discovered this recipe on another blog and made it a couple of Sundays ago, I had all the ingredients and figured "what da heck!" They were oh so yummy! You basically make a runny toffee and pour it over a pan full of saltine crackers. The toffee mixture cooks down through the crackers and makes it taste like a toffee pie crust that you top with chocolate. Needless to say between my house and the house next door they survived about 24 hours... at the most.


Here's the recipe:

Christmas Crackers
1 c. butter
1 c. brown sugar
1 pkg (2 c.) chocolate chips
1.5 pkg. saltine crackers

Preheat your oven to 400. Line a jelly roll cookie sheet with foil (no need to spray there's enough butter in the toffee). Spread a layer of saltines on the cookie sheet as close together as possible.

Melt your butter and your sugar in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Cook while stirring for 3-5 min. (closer to 5.) Remove from stove when the candy is just starting to pull away from the edges, if you lean over the pot the steam kind of stings your eyes. Weird I know, but it works. Pour the mixture over your crackers and spread with a spoon/spatula.

Place in oven and cook about 5 min. All the candy should be bubbly. Remove from oven, let sit about a minute. Sprinkle chocolate chips over the top. When chocolate is soft and melted (you can place back in your warm oven for a minute to speed this up) spread over crackers and let cool until chocolate firms back up. I put my pan out the kitchen door in the garage and they were ready to eat in about 5 min.

This recipe sounds bizarre but it's pretty yummy. Mike totally thought I was playing some kind of joke when I told him what was in it. I still prefer my real homemade toffee but this is yummy too. Makes a quick treat to share with a friend or neighbor.

I've made this twice now and Mike asks me almost every week to make them again.  What treats are you making? I want some new recipes!

2 comments:

Joyous said...

that looks yum-mee!!! I want to try it- maybe while I am at the in-laws. Thanks for the new recipe!!

Madi said...

Thats the best stuff ever!!!! one of them any way!