Thursday, September 16, 2010

Beadboard Headboard

I've wanted to make something with beadboard for a long time. I finally got my chance. It all started with this ginormous frame from the DI.

It's huge! I was hopping it would make a cute headboard in Marisa's room. I Spray painted it hot pink with a can of paint I already had and then dry brushed some leftover white paint on the details... and to tone down the pink.

I had to look at it for a couple of days before the beadboard idea even occurred to me.
I bought a sheet from Home Depot, and they cut it for me for FREE (twice, since they messed up the first time). When I got home the plank was just barely too big to fit in the frame. So my dad shaved and shaved and shaved the edge off for me until it finally did fit. (thanks Dad!) I painted the board the same white color as the curio cabinet I refinished for her "bookshelf". And stapled it about 100 times into the frame from the back.
Perfect. I love it! Of course I really wanted to add something to the big white space... but what? A monogram? vinyl? chunky wood letters hanging on ribbons in frames? Mel and I hit up Hobby Lobby for some inspiration and I found these 2 perfect flowers. I couldn't decide which one I liked better. The big flower was the exactly the size I was looking for, but I loved the dimension on the smaller flower.
Thank goodness they were on sale for half price because inspiration hit. I wired them together. Now I have one really large and curly perfect flower. Bonus: they were already the perfect color pink!
I spray painted a large picture hanger "j hook" to match the frame and used it to hang the flower from the beadboard. So cute, if I do say so myself.
Mike and I hung the whole shabang from the wall just above her bed. She couldn't be happier ... neither could I. (Well I could go for a new bed set, cute rug, little bench, ... etc.)

(Ignore the "curtain wall". This used to be our guest/craft room and since it's the biggest room in the house she has to share a skinny slice with my stuff.)

Did I ever show you the $5 curio cabinet I found and transformed into an adorable white girly bookshelf?

It's skinny and fits perfectly in her room to store her growing book collection and favorite stuffed animals. I love the glass knobs.

So what's next? A bench for the foot of her bed, or a shelf to go above the headboard, or a monogram in a frame... the ideas are endless. It's about time she got some cute stuff in her room. And I really want to use some more beadboard.

UPDATE: It's 3 days later, Marisa LOVES it. And I found this on clearance at Target. I can't wait to put it on her bed!! At 75% off it was a steal. How convienent that it was pink! (pricetag is a little difficult to read - less than $20)

3 comments:

Maria Bradley said...

SO cute! I love it - can you decorate Abby's room too? :) You amaze me with your creativity

Jen said...

That is adorable! I LOVE it! I bet Marisa does, too!

Coneen said...

I saw the whole process and it turned out so cute. I can hardly wait to see what is next. Your brain is amazing.