Friday, May 29, 2009

Starting w/ Digital

Since a few of you have asked, I thought it might be easier to just post some "basic" info here about what I have learned: How do you start digital scrapbooking...

I highly recommend starting with Jessica Sprague. I wasted so much time trying to figure stuff out on my own. She offers a free mini digital class to give you a taste. Then sign up for her basic "Up & Running" class. It's an intro to Photoshop and digi scrapping. It's less than $50. Sounds like a lot but it is sooooo worth it!! She gives you lots and LOTS of great quality digital scrapbooking supplies to use. The great thing about digital is you can use them over and over. She even teaches you how to change the colors of the supplies so all your layouts won't look the same. I'm not kidding when I say this class will change your scrapping life forever. :) All the layouts on my previous post were made during that class and you get at least 90% of the supplies I used in this class, plus more that I haven't used yet. In other words - it's a good deal!

And if you're not ready to pay for the class - she has TONS of "free" tutorials that will teach you bits and pieces of how to make your photos and layouts amazing!! I still haven't had time to take all her free tutorials there are so many. The ones I have taken have been fantastic! But I'm still planning on taking all of her other classes as well.

You will also need Adobe's photoshop elements. (you can use regular photoshop - but this version is specifally made for scrapbooking and I find it easier to use.) This will cost you some money. If you go to Adobe Photoshop Elements you can download a *free* 30 day trial to test it out. They have versions for Mac's and PC's. You can buy the software at Costco for a GREAT deal, or get it from Amazon. If you don't HAVE to have the newest version (Elements 7) you can find a PSE 6 or even 5 for dirt cheep on Ebay. It's worth it! You will save tons of money just on adhesive. :)

Then - there are HUNDREDS of sites where you can find AMAZING!! free digital scrapbook supplies. I will update my list here that you can use for a starter reference. Make sure you get all the freebies from Jessica Sprague's page too - they are REALLY good. Jen e-mailed me a few really good ones too, I'll put those on. Check out Jen's Blog and Facebook page for her newest work. She's taking the "Up" class right now and she rocks with it! :)

Last - you can print them up anywhere that does photos. I usually send mine to Costco. I have done a few projects at Shutterfly and I really like them too. They are always running deals for free photo prints. I usually print in 8x8 just to save a little. It's a great size for a layout w/o losing detail or quality. (and you can still design in 12x12 and not have to change the size to print 8x8. That way you have a bigger layout if you want to print it full size.)

Next time ask me about how to organize your stuff. I'm testing some stuff out right now.

3 comments:

Jen said...

Thanks for all your help! This is so fun! Once I get more "supplies" downloaded I am going for the organizational stuff!

Venzors said...

Thanks Tammy that helps. I agree that Jen's pages rock, yours are pretty rockin too!!

Tammy said...

You're nice. :)