Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Soylent Green is Perfect Porridge

(I wrote this post back in December and somehow never posted it)

At our house we play lots of "human" games. Lizzy loves the word "human" (pronounced "hewwmen") and comes up with an amazing variety of creative ways to include it in her conversations.

We play human games, tell human stories & jokes, sing human songs and eat human food.

A couple mornings ago Lizzy came into the kitchen, eyes squinted closed "My eyes, my eyes! Mommy, turn down the sun!" When she can finally open her eyes again she asks for "porridge" (oatmeal, her favorite breakfast.)

So in the tradition of Mike's favorite game (teasing the kids by trying to feed them baby food) I offer her a bite of the oatmeal I'm currently feeding Caitlin. "No... ewww... I want "human" porridge!" she says.

I of course start laughing hysterically (which of course Lizzy hates) and look at Mike who is also laughing so hard there were actual tears.

"Soylent green?" I ask Lizzy.

"Yes. Soy-yent gwreen, human porridge! not baby porridge."

Mike and I are laughing so hard we can barely speak. Mike loves the movie "Soylent Green" (gross) and just saying the words disgust me. So now our favorite breakfast "perfect porridge" is now better known as "Soylent Green or Human Porridge" and I can barely make it anymore, much less eat it... Anyone up for sharing your favorite oatmeal recipe?

2 comments:

AnJ. said...

I was laughing out loud at this. My only experience with Soylent Green was from Saturday Night Live a long time ago when I could stay awake! Too funny! I can just hear you laughing.

Joyous said...

soylent green? I have no idea what you are talking about- but it sounds funny! She's funny!