Porkey's Soup
1 lb ground Italian Sausage (I usually use JennyO turkey breakfast sausage but freezer and store were empty so I opted for red. fat Jimmy Dean.)
2 14 oz can's Italian Diced Tomatoes (I used home bottled tomatoes)
2 cans Black Eyed Peas
1 can Green Beans
1 can Corn
If you're lucky (like me) your husband gave you a gorgeous cast iron "dutch oven" for Christmas. It's perfect for cooking soup. When your pot looks as yummy as your soup you can't help but take a picture.
Brown your sausage in the bottom of you pot. (Rinse and drain if necessary - no need with turkey or low fat sausage.)
Dump in entire contents of Italian tomatoes, peas, green beans and corn (DO NOT DRAIN). I used "homemade" tomatoes so I added some Italian spices to make up for the "missing seasonings."
Bring to a boil, turn down heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until you're ready to eat. (You can even make this in a crock pot, just brown your sausage first, dump in other ingredients and cook on low for a few hours.)
This is DELICIOUS with cornbread. Maybe someday I'll share Melonee's easy & delicious recipe for that too... or maybe she will. :)

Despite the name I think this dish is actually very healthy thanks to the lowfat/turkey sausage and low sodium vegetables. Enjoy! (Mel - Hope I did your recipe justice!)



2 comments:
I love this soup! So yummy! Thanks for putting the recipe up on your blog, now I can have it forever! :) Looks so good.
This looks yummy! I will have to try it- with the turkey of course! Thanks for sharing!
Post a Comment