Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Story Telling Festival

I never told you all about this huge major accomplishment of Marisa's!
A week before Christmas break she came home from school and announced she (and one other girl) had been chosen by their Art (Drama) teacher to represent her school at a District Wide Storytelling Festival.

I KNOW!! How cool is that!!

Earlier in the month she had been in the kindergarten class telling stories and her teacher pulled her aside and told her she did the best job of any 4th grader. (That's my girl!) A few weeks later her name was announced over the intercom saying she would be representing the school at the District Story Telling Festival. Only 2 children from each gradeschool in the district are chosen. (I know Cathy {my MIL} that teaches at the school was proud of her too!)

She's been practicing with the drama teacher for the last 3 weeks and tomorrow is her big night. She does two "tellings" of the same story with two different sets of judges. She doesn't seem at all nervous, but I'm nervous for her!

Tonight she did a practice run in front of Mike, Grandpa Greg and I. She's amazing! Part of me wants to coach her but the rest of me just wants to be proud of her. Let the drama teacher do the coaching and I'll sit by and be the proud Mama!

My little girl, who a year ago was in a "speech" class for her lisp is now going to stand in front of an audience of ... I have no idea how many ... and perform a memorized animated story. Twice. This is a huge accomplishment! Like I said... proud beyond belief!

I know there is a ranking system but I really don't care... (The winners go on to a state Festival.) I'm just so happy for her to be chosen to participate. This is one of those great moments when you are so glad you chose to be a parent.

6 comments:

AnJ. said...

That's so awesome! I know she will be fabulous. It's hard as the Mom not to be nervous for them. I would love to hear her. Does she do in-home performances?

Coneen said...

Good luck Marisa! I'm so proud of you. I want to hear your story.

Biggs Family said...

Congratulations to Marisa, she is such a bright young girl! She will do awesome! :)

Jen said...

Woo hoo! Good luck to Marisa!

Marie said...

That's so exciting! I bet she'll do amazingly. :) Tell her we love her and are proud of her too!

Lesley said...

Way to go Marisa!! I'm not a bit surprised to hear about this talent. I can't wait to hear the outcome. Keep us posted :-)